Saturday, July 11, 2020

An Appalachian Summer by Ann H. Gabhart



About the book

In 1933, most people are focused on the Great Depression but all Piper Danson can think about is how to get out of being a debutante and marrying Braxton Crandall. In an act of defiance, Piper volunteers as a frontier nursing courier in the Appalachian Mountains where adventure awaits.

My thoughts:

This is one of my favorite books penned by one of my favorite authors and in my opinion one of her best.  I first learned of the Frontier Nursing Service and Mary Breckinridge in These Healing Hills which is another must read  by Ms. Gabhart  So, as soon as I saw this novel I knew I had to get my hands on a copy of it and boy am I glad I did!

Set in 1933 during the Great Depression, Piper Danson wants nothing to do with being a debutante or marrying Braxton Crandall. Fortunately, her Aunt Truda is on her side and after a while they convince Pipers parents to allow her to volunteer as a courier in the Frontier Nursing Service. What an adventure this young woman had as she encountered the people of the Appalachian Mountains and what a completely different way of life than the one, she was used to.  Piper took to her duties and her beautiful surroundings much better than I could ever dream of doing.  I loved the storyline and getting to know all of the wonderful and unforgettable characters within in the pages of this book that will stay with me for quite a long time.

Overall, I thought this was a heartwarming and inspirational must-read novel.  It is perfectly paced, beautifully written and one that I highly recommend to readers of Historical fiction.  I received a copy from the publisher.  All opinions are completely my own 

No comments:

Post a Comment