Tuesday, March 7, 2023

The Escape Game (Heroines of World II) by Marilyn Turk


A Board Game Holds Keys to Prisoners’ Escape
 
Full of intrigue, adventure, and romance, this series celebrates the unsung heroes—the heroines of WWII.
 
After the Nazis started the bombing blitz of England, Beryl Clarke puts her college on hold to return to Leeds, care for her mother, and work as a secretary at the Waddington game company. While she endures the war at home, her brother James fights the enemy in the air. When he is shot down, injured, and captured, James meets American POW Kenneth Anderson, and they plan to escape the Nazi prison camp. Beryl knows there is a board game with escape plans being delivered to POWs by the Red Cross. But how will the men discover the game’s secret?

My thoughts:

A truly intriguing novel of WW2 that held my attention from beginning to end.  The title got my attention as soon as saw it and the description sealed the deal for my interest in wanting to read it and I am so glad I did.

The Escape Game is unlike any other book that I have read in recent memory, from the home front to the POW camps, to the incredible characters it had me eagerly reading to find out what would happen next.   Every time a box would arrive from the Red Cross to the POWs I was filled with anticipation to find out if there would be THE monopoly board game that held the keys to the prisoners escape.  If not for the lovely Beryl, who had an interest in two of the prisoners the clues may have gone unnoticed by the recipients of the game.

Ms. Turk has written a truly amazing and well researched novel, I look forward to reading more of her work.  Fans of historical fiction will surely want to read this.

I received a copy through Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment