Saturday, June 15, 2019

Ever Faithful (Vintage National Parks #3) by Karen Barnett


Book Description

Vibrant historic Yellowstone National Park comes to life in this romantic mystery about a man hiding the truth, braving the west to become something more--and the woman who must confront his deception.
A man who can't read will never amount to anything--or so Nate Webber believes. But he takes a chance to help his family by signing up for the new Civilian Conservation Corps, skirting the truth about certain "requirements." Nate exchanges the harsh Brooklyn streets for the wilds of Yellowstone National Park, curious if the Eden-like wonderland can transform him as well.

Elsie Brookes was proud to grow up as a ranger's daughter, but she longs for a future of her own. After four years serving as a maid in the park's hotels, she still hasn't saved enough money for her college tuition. A second job, teaching a crowd of rowdy men in the CCC camp, might be the answer, but when Elsie discovers Nate's secret, it puts his job as camp foreman in jeopardy.

Tutoring leads to friendship and romance, until a string of suspicious fires casts a dark shadow over their relationship. Can they find answers before all of their dreams go up in smoke? 

My thoughts:

I loved visiting Yellowstone National Park and I didn't have to leave my home.  The author has taken me to National Parks in this series and I have loved each and every visit.  In Ever Faithful it was not only the scenery that I loved but the characters, too.  

That's not to say that I haven't loved the others in the previous books because I have but Elsie Brookes and Nate Webber were humble, charming and likeable keeping me engaged throughout. There is plenty of action taking place with suspicious fires, and Elsie tutoring the men who were sent by President Roosevelt as part of The Civilian Conservation Corps.  She is also a loving daughter working as a maid to earn enough money to make her dreams of a college education become a reality. 

There are several secondary characters who I enjoyed getting to know and I gained a great deal of respect and admiration for those who put the backbreaking work into making and keeping the National Parks what they are today,

This is a fast and informative read that is perfect for your summer vacation no matter where you decide to go.  Each of the three books can be read as a stand alone but I suggest reading them in order to enjoy the Vintage National Parks series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to write a positive review.  All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment