Sunday, July 28, 2019

Light from Distant Stars by Shawn Smucker


Book Description

When Cohen Marah steps over the body of his dead father on a cold spring morning, he steps into a labyrinth of memory.

 In the week that follows, he must confront his traumatic past, a violent present, and the most frightening question of all-did he kill his father?

My thoughts:

Never having read a book by Shawn Smucker before this one, I really didn't know what to expect but that's what makes reading a new to me author exciting.  I started reading this one evening and at first I wasn't sure how I felt about the storyline but by the third or fourth chapter I became interested in what would happen in the life of Cohen Marah.

This is a pretty intense story with Cohen finding his injured father and then staying by his fathers hospital bed as he is flooded with memories of his youth.  Lights from Distant Stars is unlike the majority of the books that I have read this year and that was a good thing because it brought me out of my comfort zone  Cohen is a complex character dealing with family, his past and his faith.  

The author takes his readers from present to past throughout the novel, doing it seamlessly so I never felt a jarring or interrupted pace in his writing.   I greatly appreciated his writing style in this book and will read his other work now, too.

I received a  complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to write a favorable review.  All opinions are my own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment