Tuesday, June 16, 2020

At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen #1) by Karen Witemeyer

Book Description

Ex-cavalry officer Matthew Hanger leads a band of mercenaries who defend the innocent, but when a rustler's bullet leaves one of them at death's door, they seek out help from Dr. Josephine Burkett. When Josephine's brother is abducted and she is caught in the crossfire, Matthew may have to sacrifice everything--even his team--to save her.

My thoughts:

I have been a Karen Witemeyer for quite a while and have loved her writing, looking forward to each book that she has released.  So needless to say, I was super excited to get a copy of her newest novel which is the first book in her new series.  


I liked the premise of a woman doctor in the 1800’s but unfortunately it took a long time before I got interested in the storyline.  There are some moments that were interesting, some of the characters were likeable, there is plenty of action and I almost didn’t finish reading it.  However, I did keep reading it and I’m glad that I did because all of the characters became ones that I genuinely liked.  I think the slow build up is due to the fact that At Love’s Command is the first book in the series and the author took time introducing her readers so we can look forward to finding out what life has in store for them in future novels.


This is a Christian fiction novel but there is also a lot of gun violence which was part of the storyline so this one may not be suitable for young readers. I received a copy from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment