Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Family Gatherings at Promise Lodge by Charlotte Hubbard


 In the year since he lost his wife in a tragic accident, Lester Lehman has found healing and purpose—helping construct Dale Kraybill’s new bulk store, enjoying the Kuhn sisters’ hearty meals, and settling into a tiny, built-for-one lakeside house. Falling in love again is surely not on Lester’s mind. Yet despite his firm “no,” two available ladies have set their on the handsome widower—in a boisterous rivalry that weaves mayhem among the wedding festivities . . .

 
A welcome escape comes from a fresh-faced newcomer. Marlene Fisher disarms Lester with her witty quips on his romantic predicament, while her sparkling eyes inspire surprising thoughts of a shared future. But the heartbreak that brought Marlene to Promise Lodge runs deep, and the pretty believes she’s not meant to marry. In a season of vows to love and honor, scripture holds the key to building their happiness together: love is kind, and above all . . . .

My thoughts:

I am always happy to return to Promise Lodge, the homey atmosphere and the warm welcome offered to newcomers and visitors are a just a few things that make me want to revisit every chance I get.

That’s not to say that everyday is idyllic because it certainly isn’t especially not for Lester Lehman who lost his wife in a tragic accident. He is a resident of Promise Lodge, helping with construction and living a peaceful life in a tiny home but all that changes when out of town guests arrive for a wedding. As soon as Elverta and Agnes arrive there is a rivalry between the two ladies who are both trying to win Lester’s heart, unfortunately he has no interest in either one of them which I found funny but Lester was not amused.

I loved the added characters of Marlene and Mose who have moved to Promise Lodge, like most of the residents they are escaping their former bishop who should not be a bishop.  The friendship that forms between Lester and Marlene is sweet, and so well written I could imagine their conversations.  Every time I read another book about this loving community, I loved it more.  I don’t think I will ever grow tired of this wonderful group of faithful, kind, generous people.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.  Opinions are my own


 

No comments:

Post a Comment