Monday, February 6, 2023

Hearts of Steele (The Blackstone Lagacy #3) by Elizabeth Camden


 Maggie Molinaro survived a hardscrabble childhood in the downtrodden streets of Manhattan to become a successful businesswoman. After a decade of sacrifice, she now owns a celebrated ice cream company, but when she offends a corrupt banker, she unwittingly sets off a series of calamities that threaten to destroy her life's work.


Liam Blackstone is a charismatic steel magnate committed to overhauling factory conditions for the steelworkers of America. Standing in his way is the same villain determined to ruin Maggie. What begins as a practical alliance to defeat a common enemy soon evolves into a romance between two wounded people determined to beat the odds.

A spiraling circle of treachery grows increasingly dangerous as Liam and Maggie risk their lives and fortune for the good of the city. It will require all their wit and ingenuity to navigate the dangerous waters ahead, but their crusade could cost them everything.

My thoughts:I have loved this series so much and each book gets better as far as I’m concerned which leads me to confess this is my favorite in the series. I had been waiting for Liam to get his story and what a story it is and well worth the wait. With a blend of fictional and actual characters it was easy to get caught up in this fascinating novel.  I had no idea that ice was such a hot commodity in the 1900’s but businesses found out they were held hostage by the greed and hatefulness of one petty man who controls the price of ice. 

It was heartbreaking to see how so many people lost their livelihoods when they were forced to close their business due to their inability to pay the exorbitant price of what was needed to keep the doors open on restaurants, hotels pharmacies, etc.   It was mindboggling to me as I read the lengths someone would go to out of spite and greed, it was also heartwarming to see people banding together to do what they could to help each other.

This is a compelling story penned by one of my favorite historical fiction authors and one I highly recommend.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.  Opinions are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment