Monday, September 9, 2019

A Love Restored by Kelly J. Goshorn


About the book

With pert opinions and a less-than-perfect figure, Ruth Ann Sutton doesn’t measure up to Society’s vision of a perfect lady. When she accepts a position teaching in a Freedman’s School, it threatens the only marriage offer Ruth Ann is likely to receive. She's forced to choose between life as a lonely spinster or reinventing herself to secure a respectable proposal. 

Determined to rise above his meager beginnings, Benjamin Coulter’s reputation as a fast learner and hard worker earns him the opportunity to apprentice with a surveyor for the railroad—a position that will garner the respect he craves. After a chance encounter with Ruth Ann Sutton, Benjamin is smitten with her pretty face, quick wit, and feisty personality. When others ridicule his choice, will Benjamin listen to his heart or put ambition first?

My thoughts:

I kept hearing so many good things about this book and although it's an older book, I decided to read it.  I am so glad I did because I certainly enjoyed it.  

I adored Ruth Ann from the beginning. she is not exactly  one of the svelte young ladies who seem so popular in many novels, but she is a lovely, strong young woman who believes every person deserves to learn as much as they can and she is not backing down.  She faces criticism about her weight and her teaching at Freedman's School but she can face anything because she's a spunky person and I like that about her. 
I liked Benjamin, too but it took me awhile to warm up to him but once I did, he became one of my favorite characters.

Overall, I enjoyed this historical novel and will read more from this author. 
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.  All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment