Wednesday, September 18, 2019

One More River to Cross by Jane Kirkpatrick

Book Desription

In 1844, two years before the Donner Party, the Stevens-Murphy company left Missouri to be the first wagons into California through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Mostly Irish Catholics, the party sought religious freedom and education in the mission-dominated land and enjoyed a safe journey--until October, when a heavy snowstorm forced difficult decisions. The first of many for young Mary Sullivan, newlywed Sarah Montgomery, the widow Ellen Murphy, and her pregnant sister-in-law Maolisa.

When the party separates in three directions, each risks losing those they loved and faces the prospect of learning that adversity can destroy or redefine. Two women and four men go overland around Lake Tahoe, three men stay to guard the heaviest wagons--and the rest of the party, including eight women and seventeen children, huddle in a makeshift cabin at the headwaters of the Yuba River waiting for rescue . . . or their deaths.

Award-winning author Jane Kirkpatrick plunges you deep into a landscape of challenge where fear and courage go hand in hand for a story of friendship, family, and hope that will remind you of what truly matters in times of trial.

My thoughts:

I have loved every book that I have read by Jane Kirkpatrick and this one is just as well written as her other novels.  It was also well researched as I discovered in the authors notes at the end of the book.

Set in 1844 a group of families leave Missouri and travel into California where they encounter bad weather forcing them to make difficult decisions regarding their journey. This was an interesting storyline as they split up into 3 different groups, each facing hardships along the way.   I am always in awe of those pioneers and their bravery.  Traveling by wagons, facing uncertainty, running low on food and sheltering in place wherever they were.

I always love a story about strong women and the author certainly delivered in this one, making it impossible for me to choose just one.  I read One More River to Cross at a slower pace than I normally read but that's because I wanted to take in every detail described within the pages and imagine each character in each situation.  I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and think it will appeal to all who like historical fiction.  

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment