Tuesday, September 10, 2019

A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships #1) by Jody Hedlund

Book Description

After facing desperate heartache and loss, Mercy agrees to escape a bleak future in London and join a bride ship. Wealthy and titled, Joseph leaves home and takes to the sea as the ships surgeon to escape the pain of losing his family. He has no intention of settling down, but when Mercy becomes his assistant, they must fight against a forbidden love.

My thoughts:

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and Ms. Hedlund has become one of my favorite authors of the genre.  This is the first book that I have read about Bride Ships and yes, I have read plenty of mail order bride stories but none like this.

The characters are endearing, especially Mercy the compassionate young woman who treats sick babies and children in less than a desirable part of London.  She has virtually nothing but her time and desire to tend to those in need.  I loved Joseph and the two of them together are pure perfection. 

The journey the characters embark upon is not just an actual physical one but a soul searching one as well.  I loved this book and think the entire series will be amazing.

I received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment