Monday, January 27, 2020

The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #11) by Suzanne Dietze

Book Description

A Blizzard Changes Everything

Abigail Bracey arrives in Nebraska in January 1888 to teach school…and to execute a task for the government: to identify a student as the hidden son of a murderous counterfeiter—the man who killed her father.


Agent Dashiell Lassiter doesn’t want his childhood sweetheart Abby on this dangerous job, especially when he learns the counterfeiter is now searching for his son, too, and he’ll destroy anyone in his way. Now Dash must follow Abby to Nebraska to protect her…if she’ll let him within two feet of her. She’s still angry he didn’t fight to marry her six years ago, and he never told her the real reason he left her.


All Dash wants is to protect Abby, but when a horrifying blizzard sweeps over them, can Abby and Dash set aside the pain from their pasts and work together to catch a counterfeiter and protect his son—if they survive the storm? 

My thoughts:

The Daughters of the Mayflower has been one of my favorite series, each book penned by different authors is fantastic.  I have found some authors that were new to me but are now among my favorites.
In the Blizzard Bride we meet school teacher, Abigail Bracey who travels to Nebraska when she is tasked to help find the young son of a dangerous man who had killed her father.
Dash is assigned to the case which is all good and well, except he and Abigail have a past history and when she balks at working with him, I thought that would be the end of that, but boy was I wrong.

As the new school teacher she is contractually obligated to be unattached romantically but when Dash shows up at her school to deliver a message to her, the townspeople read more into the relationship than there is, much to Abagail's chagrin.   The storyline isn't just all cuteness and flirtations, no it's much more than that with a killer on the lose, the child who he is searching for and the Blizzard of 1888.  One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of historical fiction are the real situations woven into the storyline such as this one.  
There are some sweet, touching scenes throughout the book and I loved the small town, the family who Abigail boarded with during her term and the children she taught.  

Overall, I thought this was a well researched, compelling novel with a storyline that flowed at a good  place.  The characters seemed so real that I could easily imagine them walking down the street greeting each other  and I could picture the pet skunk who was not welcome in Abigail's schoolroom.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment