Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Unexpected Champion (High Sierra Sweethearts # 3) by Mary Connealy


About the book:
City dweller John McCall never expected to be out in the High Sierras of 1868 on a wild-goose chase to find the Chiltons' supposedly lost grandson. But now that he's out here, things have gotten even more complicated, mostly due to wildcat Penny Scott. She's not like any woman he's ever met--comfortable in the woods, with a horse, and with a gun.

When Penny and John are taken against their will by a shadowy figure looking for evidence they don't have, both realize they've stumbled into something dangerous and complicated. With their friends and family desperately searching for them, Penny and John must make a daring escape.

When they emerge back into the real world, they are confronted with a kidnapper who just won't stop. They must bring a powerful, ruthless man to justice, even as this city man and country woman fight a very inconvenient attraction to each other.
 

My thoughts:

Let me just say that I absolutely loved this book!  It is the fast paced, action packed, comical story of, Pinkerton Agent John McCall and the no-nonsense, Penny Scott.  Things have gotten bad in Dismal, Nevada, one might even say dismal.  Especially after Penny and John are kidnapped and yes, I know kidnapping is no laughing matter, unless it's in in a story penned by Ms. Connealy.

After the kidnapping and escape things start to deteriorate for John and Penny but luckily she is prepared and way more savvy  than he is as they try to find their way back to town.  I'm telling you there is non stop action within the pages of ,The Unexpected Champion that kept me turning pages as fast as I could.   Just when I thought the author couldn't possibly have any more surprises she totally proved me wrong.  There is a forced marriage and disguises along with hijinks that had me laughing throughout this delightful book.   The pairing of John and Penny is brilliant because these two are as different as day and night which added so much to this third and final book in the High Sierra Sweethearts series.    Although I haven't read the first two books in the series there was enough of the back story that I knew what had been happening with the characters in the first two books. 

I received a copy from the publisher and was under no  obligation to write a review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment