Sunday, August 11, 2019

As the Light Fades by Catherine West


Book Description

Sometimes we’re placed in the strangest of circumstances for the most important reasons.

After her carefully constructed life crumbles, Liz Carlisle finds herself back on Nantucket, picking up the pieces. With the family estate under renovations, the solitude she craves seems out of reach.
Matthew Stone intends to steer clear of his new tenant. She’s carrying a load of baggage, but as long as she pays the rent, he’ll let her be. He’s got enough to deal with caring for his wayward niece, Mia.
Liz doesn’t have time for teenagers and her track record with men is abysmal, but an unlikely friendship forms between the three. 

When her former boyfriend is charged with assault, Liz is called to testify against him. But he knows the darkest secrets of her life—secrets she’d hoped to keep buried forever, and he’s ready to reveal them. Telling the truth is the right thing to do, but it may cost her everything she’s worked so hard for, and all she’s come to love.

***NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR***
As the Light Fades is published as a standalone novel, but features some characters from one of Catherine's earlier novels, The Things We Knew, published in 2016 by Thomas Nelson.

Paperback

Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by KDP

Buy a copy on Amazon 

My thoughts:

I expect to be fully engrossed in any novel penned by Ms. West so I will just let you know, this one exceeded my expectations.  Yes, it really is that good and the author is a masterful storyteller!  Set in Nantucket, we reconnect with the Carlisle family, but let me perfectly clear, this is a standalone novel  so if you haven't had the opportunity to read the novel, The Things We Knew, I honestly don't think it will take away from your enjoyment of this book.

Ms. West tackles some pretty heavy topics in this heartrending story, important topics that may have touched our families or friends but they are so realistically written I felt like I was  involved in their lives and I wanted the best for them.  From Drake, the artistic patriarch who suffers from Alzheimer's  to the young troubled teen, Mia who has a lot to overcome in her life, there are just so many well defined and wonderful characters to love. Give me a story with strong family dynamics such as this one and I will be a very happy reader.
There some humorous parts that put a smile on my face making me love this book so very much.

Overall, As the Light Fades is a must read in my opinion which is why I highly recommend it.  The characters are ones that you won't soon forget and if you are like me, you'll hope there will another book with some of the same characters.

I received a copy through Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.












No comments:

Post a Comment