Sunday, February 17, 2019

Atoning for Ashes by Kaitlin Covel

About the book:

Josie Chadwick dreams of marrying for love in Cornwall, England, but with her father's debt threatening to destroy all she holds dear, her romantic options are dwindling. When her elder sister Delia is disowned, Josie finds herself heiress of Chadwick Park, torn between dreams and duty. After sacrificing her heart to atone for Delia's sin, Josie clings to the hope she will learn to love a distant husband, whom she fears is incapable of requiting her affection.

Charles Radcliffe's heart has been scarred and hardened by rejection. He fears hurting his new bride, but his fears of betrayal and rejection are stronger, making it impossible for him to trust her love--let alone the love of her God.

As Josie and Charles face their new life together, ominous events warn of dark family secrets that could shatter them both. More than a loveless marriage is at stake if they cannot stand as one. Will they learn to trust God and each other before it's too late?


My thoughts:

Atoning for Ashes is the debut novel by Kaitlin Covel so naturally I was excited read her work.  I found her writing comparable to some popular, published authors.  And that cover is absolutely beautiful, isn't it?

The storyline is filled with adventure, mystery and fairly well crafted characters.  As with most novels I have read there are some characters that I liked more than others so that didn't interfere with my feelings and enjoyment of this book.  I will say that  this book required my full and undivided attention so make sure to be in your favorite comfortable reading spot before starting this one because there is a lot going on which made for a nice long read..  I loved Josie's story, she is a wonderful character who has a good heart and who tries to make her marriage a happy and successful one.  It took me longer to warm up to Charles but once I did, I started to understand him much more.

As much as I liked, Atoning for Ashes, I will have to say that there are some situations written in the book that will not be appropriate for the very young reader but they are unfortunate situations that can happen to anyone.   There is a message of forgiveness and faith which I really liked.

I received an advanced reader copy of Atoning for Ashes and was under no obligation to write a review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment